Parent Notices from USD 400

Proof of Identity Requirement

State law requires school districts to obtain proof of identity for all students new to the district.  This proof may be a birth certificate, a copy of a court order placing a child in the custody of DCF (Department for Children and Families), a certified transcript or other similar student record, or other documentary evidence that the School Board deems satisfactory.  If this proof is not provided within 30 days the Board must notify the local law enforcement agency, which will then promptly investigate the identity of the child.

Buckley Amendment (Family Rights and Privacy Act)

The Buckley Amendment requires that the school district give public notice of the categories of directory information that it intends to release including, but is not limited to the student’s name; address; telephone listing; electronic mail address; photograph; date and place of birth; grade level; enrollment status; participation in officially recognized activities and sports; weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance; certificates, honors, and awards received; and the most recent school educational agency or institution attended by the student.  Parents should inform the district that any or all of the designated information may not be released without the parent’s prior consent.

Notice of Nondiscrimination General Statement

Applicants for admission and employment, students, parents of elementary and secondary school students, employees, sources of referral of applicants for admission and employment and all unions or professional organizations holding collective bargaining or professional agreements with Smoky Valley Public Schools No. 400 are hereby notified that this institution does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or handicap in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in its programs and activities.  Smoky Valley Public Schools No. 400 has procedures regarding the referral, evaluation and placement of individuals with disabilities who are eligible for services under federal law.  Grievance and appeals procedures have been adopted by the Board of Education to provide for the expeditious resolution of complaints regarding individual civil rights.  Any person having inquiries concerning Smoky Valley Public Schools No. 400 compliance with, or complaints under the regulations implementing Title VI, Title IX, Section 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act is directed to contact Glen J. Suppes, who can be reached at 126 S. Main, Lindsborg, Kansas, who has been designated by Smoky Valley Public Schools to coordinate the institution’s efforts to comply with the above mentioned regulations.  The coordinator may also be contacted for the existence and location of services, activities and facilities that are accessible to the disabled.  Any person may also contact the Region 7 Office for Civil Rights, One Petticoat Lane, 1010 Walnut St., Suite 320, Kansas City, MO  64106, phone 816-268-0550, regarding the institution’s compliance with regulations implementing Title IX, Title VI, Section 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act.  For additional information, contact the Kansas Relay Center at 1-800-766-3777.

Human Sexuality and AIDS Education

U.S.D. 400 is complying with the State of Kansas mandate on teaching Human Sexuality and AIDS Education in all schools.  Any questions concerning the program should be discussed with the building principal.

Asbestos Notification

U.S.D. 400 has developed an asbestos management plan and it is available for review in each attendance center and the Administrative Center.  We are fortunate in not having an excessive amount of asbestos.  All asbestos is being maintained in an encapsulated form.  All asbestos is inspected every six months.  The notice complies with EPA Reg. 763.84 and 763.93G.4.

Drug Free Schools

In accordance with P. L. 102-226, it is unlawful for students or school employees of U.S.D. 400 to possess, use, or distribute illicit drugs and alcohol on school premises or as part of any school activity.


Kansas statutes require that all children new to the district, all pre-kindergarten (Pre-K) and all kindergarten students must present certification from a licensed physician stating that he/she has had, or is receiving immunization against polio, diphtheria, whooping cough, tetanus, hepatitis B, varicella, mumps, and measles, or indicate legal exemption. Pre-K through 12th grade students are also required to have the hepatitis B series. Two doses of varicella are required for all grades PreK thru 12th.  A booster dose of Tdap is required at 7th-12th grade regardless of the interval since the last dose of Td (tetanus/diphtheria). This is to improve pertussis (whooping cough) immunity due to increasing outbreaks.  Also required for Pre-K students under than the age of 5 years are three doses of haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib), four doses of pneumococcal conjugate (PCV7) and two doses of hepatitis A.

Health Assessments

New students (including Pre-K and kindergarten pupils) must have a copy of a birth certificate when enrolling.


Any new early childhood program or kindergarten student will need a school entry physical completed by a Kansas physician within 12 months prior to the first day of school.  New students under the age of 9 years who are attending a Kansas school for the first time, also require a physical as described above.  Documentation of the physical must be provided to the school prior to attending. 


For any child entering school for the first time, sickle cell screening is available.  Lindsborg Community Hospital (located at 605 West Lincoln Street, Lindsborg, Phone: 785-227-3308) will provide blood tests for sickle cell trait and sickle cell anemia. Positive screenings will be forwarded to a pathologist at Labcorp in Wichita for diagnosis.


Medication Policy 

If a student must have medication, this also includes over the counter medications, administered during the school day a “Request For Medication To Be Administered at School” form must be signed by the physician and parent or guardian. This form must be returned to the school with the medication in the original prescription container and delivered to the school by the parent or responsible adult designated by the parent. There are some over the counter medications (Tylenol, ibuprofen, Neosporin, anti-itch lotion, cough drops) that can be given with parent-permission only. The “Parental” Permission for Occasional Use of OTC Medication” form must be signed by the parent or guardian and on file in the school office. Parents or guardians are welcome to come to school to dispense their child’s medications if they are unable to get the above requirement met.

Athletic Physicals

Those students planning to participate in athletics or cheerleading must have physicals prior to the beginning of participating in practice. A physical is required every year.  Forms may be downloaded from (click on the “Back to School” link); or the forms are available at the school district office.

Teacher Qualifications
As the parent of a student attending a school that receives federal funds under the “No Child Left Behind Act”, you have the right to know the professional qualifications of each of your child’s teachers. You have the right to ask for the following information about each of your child’s teachers:
-Whether the teacher is certified by the state of Kansas to teach the grades and subjects he or she teaches;
-Whether the teacher is teaching under an emergency or other provisional certificate;
-The teachers college major;
-Whether the teacher has any advanced degrees and, if so, the subject of those degrees; and
-Whether aids or paraprofessionals provide services to your child and, if so, the qualifications of the aide or paraprofessional.
If you would like to receive any or all of this information in this section, please contact the respective building principal for that information.

Student Achievement Data
As a part of the NCLB legislation, schools are to provide access to state and building report card information. Individual school offices as well as the district office can point you in the direction of the KSDE website for this information or you may explore that by going to and choosing the building report card topic under that menu option or go directly to: to find information about state and local assessment data. If you have a student in grades 3-8 they would have taken assessments in math and reading, students in grades 4 and 7 in science, students in grades 5 and 8 in writing (odd years), and students in grades 5 and 8 in social science (even years). Please contact building principals about your specific studentsʼ scores as they are required to provide that information upon request. At the high school level, students must take assessments in mathematics, reading, social science, science, and writing. Their schedules differ from the lower grades as they are given more flexibility as to when they are taken (which grade level and in many cases, the time of year). Ask your building principal about scheduling and individual assessment data as it pertains to your child as they are more than happy to share that information with you as required by law.

  • In a shelter
  • In a motel or campground due to the lack of an alternative adequate accommodation
  • In a car, park, abandoned building, or bus or train station
  • Doubled up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship
Your school-age children may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.

Your eligible children have the right to:
  • Receive a free, appropriate public education.
  • Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
  • Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
  • Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference and is feasible.
If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a
  • written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal its decision.
  • Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this.
  • Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your childrenʼs needs.
If you believe your children may be eligible, contact the local liaison to find out what services and supports may be available. There also may be supports available for your preschool-age children. The homeless liaison for USD 400 is Fred Van Ranken, Director of Student Learning. 126 S. Main, Lindsborg, KS 67567. Phone Number 785-227-2981. Email: State Homeless Liaison Tate Toedman 785-296-6714

English Language Learners
If you have questions or concerns about how USD 400 address English Language Learners (ELL), the school district, according to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, must offer an English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program until that student is proficient in English and can be successful in the mainstream classroom without additional language support services. Those students are identified at enrollment time initially through information obtained through the forms used at that time. Rest assured that USD 400 does itʼs best to comply will federal law and will provide the necessary services to all ELL students. If you have questions or concerns, please contact your respective building principal or the Director of Student Learning at the USD 400 Central Office (Fred Van Ranken 126 S. Main, Lindsborg, KS 67567. Phone Number 785-227-2981. Email:

Tenga en cuenta la disponibilidad de los hispanohablantes

Para obtener una copia de estos avisos en español por favor pregunte al personal de la oficina en su edificio particular en lo que proporcionará una copia escrita por usted sin ningún costo.